Glossary of Terms

The following is a list of terms that I frequently use throughout my web sites ( and

Photography Prints – These are prints created from digital or film cameras. My digital images are processed with Lightroom/Photoshop in order to bring out the original colors, tones and the highest print quality possible. For photography I primarily use a DSLR camera (digital single lens reflex), but I also have a few photographs captured by other devices including; mirrorless cameras, mobile phones, and drones. My photography is separated into the following genre:

  • Landscape Photography – A composition where the landscape itself is the primary subject. It is highlighted through leading lines, colors and shapes.
  • Narrative Photography – This is work where a secondary element is introduced to create an overall story. In the visual art world this is often referred to as “the narrative” or “narrative art”.
  • Abstract Photography – In it’s purest form, “abstract art” is work that is non-representational. It utilizes the formal elements of shape, color, and line to create the overall composition.

Mixed Media Prints – In addition to traditional photography, I create work using a variety of tools and media. Much of this work is done with digital tools, but some is done using more traditional media such as paint, pencils, ink, pastels, paper cut-outs, and so on. I place all of this work into a category called Mixed Media and sell them as prints:

  • Digital Art – The term “Digital Art” refers to work that was created using digitally based tools on a computer or non-camera digital device. Some of these tools include digital drawing tablets, digital drawing/painting tools and a variety of software tools. The finished work is then sold as a “Digital Art Print” and reproduced on a variety of print papers, canvas or other final media.
  • Collage / Composite – A Collage or Composite is a finished piece of work that was created using imagery from more than one original source. If the source is in a digital format, then I’ll often refer to these pieces as a “Photo Collage” or “Digital Composite”
  • Traditional Mixed-Media – This is work in which the final piece is created with non-digital media such as paper, paint, ink, pencil, photographs, etc. These are one-off pieces and converted into a format that can be printed and reproduced as a “Mixed-Media Print”.

Wall Art Panels / Multi-Panel Products – My panel products are sold as groupings of images created from one or more of my original photographs or hand-crafted compositions. These are sold in the following configurations:

  • Panoramas – A panorama is a wide-angle print created from a painting, drawing, photograph, etc. The width to height ratio for a panorama is typically 3:1 (ex, 36″ wide x 12″ tall). Regular prints are typically sold in ratios of about 3:2, 5:4, etc)
  • Diptychs – A diptych is a single work of art separated into two separate panels. In the Renaissance period these panels were often attached by a hinge. Today though, diptychs are most often sold as separate panels and hung on a wall with spacing in-between each.
  • Triptychs – Similar to a Diptych, but is a single work of art separated into three panels.
  • Multi-Panels – Multi-panels are a collection of wall mounted individual prints. They are grouped together to form a wall system comprised of 2×2 (two panels wide x 2 panels tall), 3×3, 4×4, and so on. These are perfect for wall spaces that are tall and narrow or wide and shorter.
  • Wall Murals – In terms of prints, a Wall Mural is an installation based on one or more works of art printed on wallpaper type rolls. They are typically un-framed and often used for floor-to-ceiling wall displays. They are installed by someone who is knowledgeable and trained in wallpaper installations for wall prints.